Accurate measurements for energy efficiency
in European railway and subway systems
The project aims to develop the metrological infrastructure for the implementation of an energy efficient management of European railway and subway systems.
MyRailS will provide accurate and reliable methods and procedures to measure the energy exchanged between the train and the railway supply system and to evaluate the quality of the power delivered to the train, under the highly dynamic conditions experienced in transit.
The project also focuses on the characterisation of the railway system as an energy consumer-producer, with a view to its integration in a wide smart grid, as well as on the assessment of eco‑driving performances.
Watch the interview
Domenico Giordano, MyRailS coordinator, talks about the project
The project will provide reliable measurements of how much energy European railway and subway systems could save through specific actions and devices. These reliable data will enable to implement the best strategy for reducing energy consumption and CO2 emissions.
- Development of a European sustainable transport system.
- Reduction of energy consumption in railway and subway systems.
- Contribution to meet the ambitious EU target of reducing CO2 emissions from rail transport by 50% within 2030.
- Evaluation of energy saving provided by eco-driving strategies.
- Improvement of energy efficiency in railway and subway systems.
Aiming at reducing energy consumption and CO2 emissions from the rail transport, the European Union is fostering energy efficiency in the overall railway and subway system.
Development of a metrological framework and measurement infrastructure to underpin the adoption of energy efficient technologies in the European railway and subway system.