Aiming at reducing energy consumption and CO2 emissions of the European railway system, the European Union is fostering energy efficiency in the overall railway and subway systems.
- Aiming at reducing energy consumption and CO2 emissions from the rail transport, the European Union is fostering energy efficiency in the overall railway and subway system.
- Since energy billings computed on the actual consumed energy will be required by 2019, it is necessary to guarantee reliable energy measurement and billing at European level.
- The efficient use of the railway infrastructure, encouraged by the European Union, demands new constraints for energy supply systems. In this scenario, accurate knowledge of the real-time power quality (PQ) is a valuable tool.
- Reversible Substations (RSSs) in DC railway systems, able to transfer the excess energy produced during braking to the upstream AC network, can improve energy saving. The high cost of the initial investment necessitates an evaluation to foresee the advantages and the effects of installation of new RSSs.
- Eco‑driving (driving a train as efficiently as possible by maintaining a speed profile designed to reduce economic and environmental costs) is a further energy saving technique. It needs accurate on‑board energy measurements in order to widely apply optimized eco-driving strategies in both railway and subway systems.
Overall and specific
Our overall objective is to develop a metrological framework and a measurement infrastructure to underpin the adoption of energy efficient technologies in the European railway and subway system.
- To provide a metrological framework to Improve energy and power quality measurements.
- To develop reliable tools for continuous monitoring of power quality in supply systems.
- To set up combined measurement-simulation tools to quantify the impact of the installation of new reversible substations (RSSs) in terms of energy saving and power quality.
- To develop measurement systems and procedures for evaluating energy saving provided by eco-driving strategies.
- To facilitate the take up of the technology and infrastructure developed in the project.
|Phantom distorted power generator
Realization of new generation systems for AC (25 kV 50 Hz, 15 kV 16.7 Hz ) and 600 V - 3 kV DC systems
|AC: 6 MW, 5 kHz
DC: 4 MW, 2 kHz
|Calibration of Energy Measurement Function (EMF) and Power Quality (PQ) meters
Realization of new laboratory calibrators and procedures for calibration under real harsh electrical conditions
DC: 0.1 %
AC: 0.5 %
|On-board EMF calibration/re-verification
Design, application and uncertainty budget estimation
DC: 0.4 %
|Algorithm for pantograph contact quality estimation
Development, characterization, application
|PQ monitoring architecture
Design, test and implementation in a test case
|RSSs energy saving
Design, test and implementation of setups and models for energy saving estimation/prediction
|Accuracy on potential energy saved: 1 %|
|Eco-driving energy saving
Design, test and implementation of reliable procedure for energy saving estimation in different scenarios
|On-site accuracy of energy saved estimation: 1 %|